Who the San Antonio Spurs Are To Me



The Spurs are the model team in my eyes. That could be a biased observation that comes with being a fan since as long as I can remember, but they are a team that plays for each other.  The team is made up of individual guys who care more about the name on the front of their jersey, instead of the name on the back. I believe this concept is what truly makes this team great.

Manu Ginobili is my favorite player. I enjoyed watching him play for Argentina and loved what he added to the Spurs team.  He’s flashy, has a high basketball IQ, and can make difficult plays look easy. Not only is he a fantastic player, he is very humble and always gives credit where credit is due.  I’ve never heard Manu discredit the opposition and I love that he respects the game so much to give the other teams credit.  I love how competitive Manu is as well; it doesn’t matter if he has a bad game or not he will always go out there and compete for the team.

Many people call the Spurs “boring” and if that’s what it means to play fundamental basketball then I don’t care if they are “boring.” I love that the Spurs stick to the basics of the game and can still dominate, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t have their flashy moments as well. Tim Duncan sticks to fundamental basketball and is able to dominate the paint but then you can also catch a glimpse of flash when Manu is slicing into the lane making you think he's going to his right but ends up making a difficult left hand shot look easy.

I love the Spurs for many reasons.  I love how the guys conduct themselves on and off the court.  They’re humble, the care for their teammates, and they love to give back to the community in various different ways.  The values the Spurs organization teaches can be used in all aspects of life.

No matter where I go in life, I will always have the Spurs to remind me of home and I will always carry a piece of the Spurs with me.

21 comments

Popular Posts