Remembering Gary Moore

By SILVIA TERIGI

\
This is a personal remembrance of Gary Moore. I'm sure that it reflects the feelings of many more people who loved the man and his music

I don’t want to go in details how he died. It seems he didn’t suffer, that he passed away suddenly while on holiday in Spain at Costa del Sol.

When I read this sad news I was in disbelief. Sometimes, we really feel that people who we care about or admire are eternal. Even if we don’t follow their daily lives , they are like icons of inspiration. You see them for what they did, created, built.

I have to say that Gary Moore was an icon of the blues. Many can question his way of playing his blues, rock and ballads. But he was a musician who proved he could innovate, create and adjust the music to his worldwide audience.

He was not just a musician of one country, one place, one group or style of music. He made people who weren't normally blues and rock fans live and feel his performances.

N one could deny the effect of Gary’s guitar. He had a distinct style. It was almost as though he were talking through the instrument.

When I went to an Irish Pub here in Argentina ,Downtown Matias ,I requested that they play Gary Moore, their Irish star. From that point on, anytime I went to the pub, they'd play a Gary Moore track. It was kind of their way of greeting me when I walked through the door.

People who had never been introduced to his music before commented that they could feel how intense his performances were. Because Gary Moore's music could be felt under the skin.

My sudden regret, upon learning of his death, is that I never fulfilled my wish to see him in concert. The desire to hear him live was so intense that I would sometimes dream about it.

I was introduced to his music by a friend. I immediately fell in love with his music. The stories behind every song. Lyrics that expressed, in such a delicious way, feelings that would, in my mind, transport me to another place.

He made history cause combined the blues with other musical genres, introducing fans of those styles to the blues.

As a result, a kind of culture was formed around Gary Moore, as he widened his fan base through his unique musical influence.

It has been said that Gary Moore was in love with his guitar. He and his love made music that will be enjoyed by generations of people. And, because of that, though he is gone, Gary Moore will be forever.

I don't think Gary knew himself how well known and recognized he was in place that he had never been. But his music traveled where he did not.

Gary is gone. As he sings in "As the Years go Passing," we can say, "So long, so long, goodbye." But I'd rather take from "Always Gonna Love You" and say to Gary, "I'm always gonna love you, if loving means forever." Because that describes his music. Forever.

Thanks to Billy , Richard, DownTown Matias Pub, Rick Maker who showed me always his music & Rafael Sarmiento



Comments

Janette said…
Moving words Sil, words that comes from your soul, i can tell. Gary's music was inspiring and his essence will allways live there.
Rita said…
He was truly an amazing guitar player. His music reached many and inspired many as well. One is able to get lost in the amazing sounds he's able to produce on the guitar. He will be missed.